On Sunday, October 23rd we have two exciting events at the Salamander Run Preserve
10am to Noon: Salamander Run Wetland Care – 4821 Layhigh Road, Hamilton, OH 45013
Volunteers are needed to assist with establishment of wetland plants. The project will involve harvesting roots and seeds from a nearby pond and planting them in a new pond to establish wetland vegetation. Rubber boots and work gloves recommended, tools will be provided.
2pm to 4pm: Invasive Plant Control Workshop – 4821 Layhigh Road, Hamilton, OH 45013
Learn about Bush Honeysuckle and Autumn Olive and how to deal with them on your property. See the details below in the flyer.
We are proud to announce that you are helping to protect another new property. The Engle Farm, owned by Happy Hill Farm, LLC, is located in Harrison, Ohio, within the watershed of Dry Fork Whitewater River. The property is within the Fernald Aquifer Zone of the Paddys Run Conservation Project.
The Engle Farm contains 122.4 acres devoted to farming and natural areas – including about 28 acres of wooded stream banks which help protect tributaries to the Dry Fork River. The conservation values of the Engle property are enhanced by its location adjacent to large, protected forest to the West and protected farmland to the East.
We are excited by the farm, natural habitat and water quality conservation this property will provide for future generations. We are so thankful to you and all our members for your part in making this happen.
This fall is a busy time for the Ruder Preserve restoration project. Our next work day for bush honeysuckle removal (see schedule below), is October 22nd – and we have two shifts! One from 9am to 1pm and one from 1pm to 5pm. Here are some of the things we could use:
- Chain saws and people who know how to use them, particularly on Sunday October 22nd – we have two groups coming, which may number up to 60 students, and would like to split them up into 5-6 groups of 6, with a person wielding a chain saw with each group. Can you help?
- People to help paint stumps and haul honeysuckle into piles in both October and November. We have some students coming each day, but we’d love to have other community and Three Valley volunteers to help and meet these wonderful helpers.
- Food for our willing volunteers – if you don’t or can’t do the physical work of this project, would you be willing to provide lunch? A grassy area at the entrance of the Ruder Preserve is a nice spot to spread out a light lunch of sandwiches or pizza and drinks. Although it is not a necessity to feed our volunteers, it goes a long way toward showing our appreciation for their help and making them want to come back and help again
If you can offer any of these things, please contact the TVCT office (513-524-2150) or Donna McCollum (513-756-0202 or email@example.com).
So THANKS, in advance, for whatever help you can give. And we hope to see you at some of these volunteer days:
Saturday, October 22nd, 9 am to 1 pm (lunch provided)
Saturday, October 22nd, 1 pm to 5 pm (lunch provided)
Saturday, November 12th, 9 am to 1 pm
- Four one-way domestic flights, courtesy of Southwest Airlines
- Five Day/Four Night All-inclusive Package at “Hacienda Tres Rios” Resort and Nature Park on the Riviera Maya, courtesy of Yucatan Holidays
- Four tickets to the Queen City Underground Tour, courtesy of American Legacy Tours
- A Queen City Airplane Tour for four, courtesy of Flamingo Air in Cincinnati
- Four (4), One-Day Park-Hopper Passes to Disney World, courtesy of Walt Disney World
- A Five Day/Six Night Stay in Beautiful Nova Scotia
- A Distillery Tour and Tasting for up to 12 people, courtesy of New Riff Distillery in Newport, KY
- Homemade Dinner for Four at the Stone House on Indian Creek
- A Coffee Tasting with Bob Thurston, courtesy of the Oxford Coffee Company
- A 500 square foot Wildflower Meadow planted at your home, courtesy of Songbird Environmental
- An Exquisite Picnic for up to 15 people at Sugar Valley Farms, courtesy of Frank House
- Six Tickets good for up to two people each, courtesy of the Funny Bone in Liberty Township
- A Boundary Waters Guided Canoe and Camping Trip, courtesy of Donna McCollum
- A one night stay and ski lift pass or a golf tee time, courtesy of Boyne Highland Resorts
- One Week for 6 at a Meadow Ridge Townhouse in Boone, NC
- Wine Tasting for up to eight people, courtesy of Jack Keegan
- An intoxicating Mary-Mosa Brunch for Six People, courtesy of Patterson’s Café
- A Three Night Stay in a Chicago Apartment
- A Canoe Camping Trip for up to two adults and two children, courtesy of Morgan Canoe
- Plus lots of local meats and so much more….
Come to bid on these and much more – on November 12th!
That’s right, our Auction for Acres is on November 12th at the Fitton Center for Creative Arts and its time to get your tickets. You can purchase tickets or donate in lieu of attendance here. Tickets are $50/each now through 10/24/2016 – or $55 from 10/25/2016 thru 11/2/2016.
Have you heard about some of our cool new auction offerings? Just to name a few, we have tickets to Disney World, a chance to see Cincinnati from a small plane, a Cancun resort vacation and a guided Boundary Waters canoe and camping trip!
For all the details as we have them, you can always check out our “Auction 2016” page under the “Events” pull down menu.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Wine Tasting we had planned at Cru (which was to be on October 12 at 6 PM), has been cancelled. While we are understanding of circumstances beyond human control; we share your disappointment. We hope to reschedule for a date in the future, so check our website, enews and newsletter. We’ll let you know the new date when we are able to reschedule.
Our thanks goes out to Mike Patterson of the Cru wine bar and the Valley Vineyards Wines of Morrow, Ohio. We are looking forward to trying this again! Thanks for your understanding.
Let’s celebrate fall and raise a glass for conservation on October 12, 6-8:30 PM. Mike Patterson of the Cru wine bar has put together a wine-tasting evening that will feature Valley Vineyards Wines of Morrow, Ohio. A fundraiser for Three Valley Conservation Trust, the cost for the event is $40 per person and include 5 wines and matched food.
The Cru is located at,105 W Spring St, Oxford, Ohio. There is room for 35 people so please give us a call if you plan to attend, 513-524-2150.
DoGood (197.2ac) and Applejack (72.9ac) are two farms that are part of the Hesselbrock family’s operations in the Fernald project area. Both farms are predominately prime agricultural lands supporting corn and soybean production. The DoGood farm includes almost 20 acres of woodland parcels that protect forested wetlands, salamander breeding pools and Indiana bat habitat. A conservation easement on these properties will protect in perpetuity the existing woodland and forested wetland habitats. Present benefits of erosion protection, surface water quality, stormwater infiltration and groundwater recharge will also be permanently protected.
Sun. Sept. 25 – 4pm to 5:30pm
Arrive on time for this guided hike and then join us afterwards for a slice of delicious pie. The preserve is in the middle of a restoration process which is beginning with the removal of invasive species in progress. Please park at the old water facility, 5223 Bonham Road, Oxford, OH. The entrance to the Ruder Preserve is across from the entrance to Miami University’s Yager Stadium at Bonham Road and Shadowy Hills Drive. Please wear appropriate hiking shoes/clothing, bring water and consider wearing sunscreen and/or insect repellent. No Pre-Registration Required. For more information call Bonnie at (513) 524-2150 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.